Monday, January 31, 2011

SUNDANCE 2011: SUBMARINE IS A MUST-SEE.

SUNDANCE 2011: SUBMARINE

SUBMARINE (directed by Richard Ayoade, executive produced by Ben Stiller) is a must-see from the 2011 Sundance line up.  This brit comedy is about an adolescent boy who must deal with his mother's infidelities and his girlfriend's mother's illness.  In this quick-witted and quirky film, lead actor Craig Roberts plays the precocious Oliver Tate with style and effectiveness.  Opposite Roberts is young actress Yasmin Paige who plays a strong-willed teen with grace and serious acting chops.  These two shine in this world where sometimes keeping the outside at a distance is the only way to survive, until eventually you must deal with it.

However, the real star is the film's style.  With it's independent vibe, but commercial appeal, it may be 2011's version of LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE.  The editing is fantastic.  Using freeze-frames, eye-contact with the camera, and separate monologues with black backgrounds break the classic narrative flow, but are incredibly effective.  These moments allow the audience to focus on a small change in the scene, emphasizing a reaction or plot point.  All in all, this film's editing and execution is what drives it and sets it apart from other coming of age stories.

This film has charm.  That's probably the best way to describe it.  Charm.  And with it's Brit humor and confidence, I am sure it will be picked up for a (at the very least) a limited engagement in NY and LA theatres.  However, if it doesn't get to a city near you, keep it on your Netflix and DVD list, it's worth it.

GO SEE IT IF:
You like coming of age stories.
You like Brit humor.
You like a little quirk and charm.
You like self-reflexive films (ie films that know they are films, and are not edited classically).

Below is a humorous description of the film from the perspective of the lead character, Oliver Tate (the precocious 15 year old):

I have been waiting too long for the film of my life. My name is Oliver Tate. This film will capture my particular idiosyncrasies, for example, the way I seduce my classmate Jordana Bevan using only my mind.  Also, since my parents’ marriage is being threatened by a man who runs courses on Mental and Physical Wellbeing, the film will probably feature some elaborate set-pieces of me taking him down. There will be helicopter shots. There will be slow-mo, but also transcendent moments, like when I cure my father’s depression. Knowing me as I do, I will be surprised if this film runs to less than three hours. Note to the press: appropriate adjectives to describe this film include “breath-taking” and “irresistible” as well the phrase: “a monumental achievement”.




SEE TRAILER AND DIRECTOR INTERVIEW AT:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L6p3ZU2EeU


STAY TUNED FOR MORE SUNDANCE 2011 REVIEWS!

No comments:

Post a Comment